There was palpable fear in Igbonna Road of Offa town and Irewolede of Ilorin as fire gutted some residential buildings yesterday, The Ravens has learnt.
The fire outbreak caused slight destruction to some valuables in both buildings. However, the Kwara State Fire Service immediately intervened in the situation, thereby dousing all tensions and preventing a total and dastard destruction.
Confirming the incident, Mr Hassan Hakeem Adekunle, Head of Department, Kwara State Fire Service, in a statement said the fire outbreak occurred as a result of an electric spark, which he said was immediately rescued by men of the Fire Service.
He also advised the people to be careful and play safe while dealing with electricity to avert future recurrence.
According to the statement: “Fire gutted a residential building in Offa town today. The Brigade was summoned through a running call by one Mr Salami around 15:10 hrs to the incident behind Olorunkuse House, Road, Offa, Kwara State.
“Thankfully, the State Fire Service arrived promptly and they were able to perform an excellent job within some seconds, by totally cutting off the fire.
“The cause of the fire was suspected to be an electric spark. Therefore, we urge the general public to always play safe while dealing with electricity.
Commenting on the second fire incident, the statement reads, “Again, there is another inferno at No 24, legislative Quarters Irewolede Area, Ilorin, Kwara State. It occurred around 16:55 hrs today.
“The outbreak involved a building of three bedrooms flat and only one room was affected due to the quick intervention of the State Fire Service for the incident.
“The outbreak occurred as a result of electric spark in one of the sockets in the affected room. In this regard, we urge the public to always play safe in their various abodes in order to avert future similar incident.”